ncert class 10 science chapter light reflection and refraction mcq, class 10 science chapter 10 mcq online test
light reflection and refraction class 10 mcq with answers pdf, light reflection and refraction class 10 mcq online test, light reflection and refraction class 10 mcq learn cbse, light class 10 mcq online test, quiz on light reflection and refraction, multiple choice questions on refraction of light pdf
MCQ Question for Class 10 Science Chapter 10 Light Reflection and Refraction with Answers
1. An object is placed at a distance of 0.25 m
in front of a plane mirror. The distance between the object and image will be
(a) 0.25 m
(b) 1.0 m
(c) 0.5 m
(d) 0.125 m
(c) Distance between object and image = 0.25 + 0.25 = 0.5 m
2. The angle of incidence for a ray of light having zero reflection angle is
(a) For reflecting surface ∠i = ∠r
3. For a real object, which of the following can produce a real image?
(a) Plane mirror
(b) Concave mirror
(c) Concave lens
(d) Convex mirror
(b) Only concave mirror can produces a real image for the any position of object between its focus and infinity.
4. Which of the following mirror is used by a dentist to examine a small cavity?
(a) Convex mirror
(b) Plane mirror
(c) Concave mirror
(d) Combination of convex and concave mirror
(c) Concave mirror forms erect and enlarged image when held close to the cavity.
5. An object at a distance of 30 cm from a
concave mirror gets its image at the same point. The focal length of the mirror is
(a) – 30 cm
(b) 30 cm
(c) – 15 cm
(d) +15 cm
(c) When object is placed at 2F, the image formed by concave mirror is also at 2F.
So 2F = -30 or F = -15 cm.
6. An object at a distance of + 15 cm is slowly moved towards the pole of a convex mirror. The image will get
(a) shortened and real
(b) enlarged and real
(c) enlarge and virtual
(d) diminished and virtual
(d) Convex mirror always formed virtual and diminished image.
Class 10 Science Light Reflection MCQ 7. A concave mirror of radius 30 cm is placed in water. It’s focal length in air and water differ by
(d) The focal length of spherical mirror does not depends on the surrounding medium.
8. A concave mirror of focal length 20 cm forms an image having twice the size of object. For the virtual position of object, the position of object will be at
(a) 25 cm
(b) 40 cm
(c) 10 cm
(d) At infinity
(c) For virtual image,
9. The image formed by concave mirror is real, inverted and of the same size as that of the object. The position of object should be
(a) at the focus
(b) at the centre of curvature
(c) between focus and centre of curvature
(d) beyond centre of curvature
(c) When object lies at C of a concave mirror, image is also formed at ‘C’ and having same size real and inverted.
10. The nature of the image formed by concave mirror when the object is placed between the focus (F) and centre of curvature (C) of the mirror observed by us is
(a) real, inverted and diminished
(b) virtual, erect and smaller in size
(c) real, inverted and enlarged
(d) virtual, upright and enlarged
(c) When object lies between C and F, the real, inverted and enlarged image is formed beyondc.
MCQ class 10 Science chapter 10 11. The nature of image formed by a convex mirror when the object distance from the mirror is less than the distance between pole and focal point (F) of the mirror would be
(a) real, inverted and diminished in size
(b) real, inverted and enlarged in size
(c) virtual, upright and diminished in size
(d) virtual, upright and enlarged in size
(c) Convex mirror always forms a virtual, erect diminished image irrespective of the position of object in front of it.
12. If a man’s face is 25 cm in front of concave shaving mirror producing erect image 1.5 times the size of face, focal length of the mirror would be
(a) 75 cm
(b) 25 cm
(c) 15 cm
(d) 60 cm
(a) In concave shaving mirror, virtual erect and large size image, behind the mirror is obtained, using Hence, focal length of concave mirror is 75 cm.
13. As light travels from a rarer to a denser medium it will have
(a) increased velocity
(b) decreased velocity
(c) decreased wavelength
(d) both (b) and (c)
(d) When light ray travel from rarer to denser medium, its velocity and wavelength both decrease as v = vλ.
14. The angle of incidence i and refraction r are equal in a transparent slab when the value of i is
(d) depend on the material of the slab
(a) When the incident ray falls normally on the glass slab, it will refracted without deviation, i.e. Along the normal in the glass slab. So, ∠i = ∠r = 0
15. The refractive index of transparent medium is greater than one because
(a) Speed of light in vacuum < speed of light in tansparent medium (b) Speed of light in vacuum > speed of light in tansparent medium
(c) Speed flight in vacuum = speed of light in tansparent medium
(d) Frequency of light wave changes when it moves from rarer to denser medium
16. The refractive index of water is 1.33. The speed of light in water will be
(a) 1.33 × 108 m/s
(b) 3 × 108 m/s
(c) 2.26 × 108 m/s
(d) 2.66 × 108 m/s
17. You are given three media A, B and C of refractive index 1.33, 1.65 and 1.46. The medium in which the light will travel fastest is
(d) equal in all three media
So, the light will travel faster in a medium having lower refractive index.
18. Light from the Sun falling on a convex lens will converge at a point called
(a) centre of curvature
(c) radius of curvature
(d) optical centre
(b) The parallel ray coming from the sun, after refraction through the convex lens converge at its focus.
19. Large number of thin stripes of black paint are made on the surface of a convex lens of focal length 20 cm to catch the image of a white horse. The image will be
(a) a zebra of black stripes
(b) a horse of black stripes
(c) a horse of less brightness
(d) a zebra of less brightness
(c) Complete image of the white horse is formed but of less intensity, the light falling on the curved portion will not react at the image position.
20. A divergent lens will produce
(a) always real image
(b) always virtual image
(c) both real and virtual image
(d) none of these
(b) Diverging (concave) lens will always forms a virtual, erect and diminished image.
21. When object moves closer to convex lens, the image formed by it shift
(a) away from the lens
(b) towards the lens
(c) first towards and then away from the lens
(d) first away and then towards the lens
(a) As object moves from infinity towards optical centre of the convex lens image is shifted away from its focal point and towards infinity.
22. When object moves closer to a concave lens the image by it shift
(a) away from the lens on the same side of object
(b) toward the lens
(c) away from the lens on the other side of lens
(d) first towards and then away from the lens
(b) When object infinity, image is formed at the focus of concave lens of object is moved towards lens, the image is also moved from its focus towards lens and its size increase.
23. A magnified real image is formed by a convex lens when the object is at
(b) between F and 2F
(d) only (a) and (b) both
(d) When object is at 2F, real inverted and same size image is formed by convex lens. So, according to question option (a) and (b) both are correct.
24. The distance between the potical centre and point of convergence is called focal length in which of the following cases?
(c) Parallel rays after refiracting meet at the focus of a convex lens.
25. A10 mm long awl pin is placed vertically in front of a concave mirror. A 5 mm long image of the awl pin is formed at 30 cm in front of the mirror. The focal length of this mirror is [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) – 30 cm
(b) – 20 cm
(c) – 40 cm
(d) – 60 cm
(b) Given h0 = +10 mm = + 0.1 cm
h2 = – 5 mm = -0.5 cm
for real image, v = – 30 cm
26. Figure shows a ray of light as it travels from medium A to medium B. Refractive index of the medium B relative to medium A is [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) Here, ∠i = 60°, ∠r = 45°
Using Snell’s law of refraction, refractive index of medium B with respect to medium A.
MCQ for class 10 Science Light Reflection and Refraction 27. A light ray enters from medium A to medium B as shown in figure. The refractive index of medium B relative to A will be [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) greater than unity
(b) less than unity
(c) equal to unity
(b) In medium B, light ray bends away from the normal. It indicates that medium B is optically rarer than medium A. Hence speed of light in medium B is more than that in medium A.
Now, refractive index
28. Beams of light are incident through the holes A and B and emerge out of box through the holes C and D respectively as shown in the figure. Which of the following could be inside the box? [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) A rectangular glass slab
(b) A convex lens .
(c) A concave lens
(d) A prism
(a) Figure shows that emergent ray are parallel to the incedent ray and shifted side ward slightly. This can be done by the rectangular glass slab only.
29. A beam of light is incident through the holes on side A and emerges out of the hole on the other face of the box as shown in the figure. Which of the following could be inside the box? [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) Concave lens
(b) Rectangular glass slab
(d) Convex lens
(d) From figure, it is clear that parallel rays converge at a point and emerges from face B. So convex lens would be possible inside the box.
30. Which of the following statements is/are true? [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) A convex lens has 4 dioptre power having a focal length 0.25 m
(b) A convex lens has -4 dioptre power having a focal length 0.25 m
(c) A concave lens has 4 dioptre power having a focal length 0.25 m
(d) A concave lens has – 4 dioptre having a focal 0.25 m
31. Magnification produced by a rear view mirror fitted in vehicles [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) is less than one
(b) is more than one
(c) is equal to one
(d) can be more than or less than one depending upon the position of the object in front of it.
(a) Convex mirror is used as rear view mirror and alway forms virtual, erect and diminished inage. So magnification produced by a rear view mirror is less than one.
32. A full length image of a distant tall building can definitely be seen by using [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) a concave mirror
(b) a convex mirror
(c) a plane mirror
(d) both concave as well as plane mirror
(b) Convex mirror has a wide field of view as it forms virtual, erect and diminished image. Hence, fall length of image of distance tall building can definitely be seen by using it.
33. In torches, search lights and headlights of vehicles the bulb is placed [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) between the pole and the focus of the reflector
(b) very near to the focus of the reflector
(c) between the focus and centre of curvature of the reflector
(d) at the centre of curvature of the reflector
(b) When source of light is placed verg near to the focus of the reflector which are concave in shape, the reflected light becomes parallel to the principal axis.
34. The laws of reflection hold good for [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) plane mirror only
(b) concave mirror only
(c) convex mirror only
(d) all mirrors irrespective of their shape
(d) The laws of reflection hold good for light reflected from any smooth surface irrespective of their shapes.
35. The path of a ray of light coming from air passing through a rectangular glass slab traced by four students are shown as A, B, C and D in figure. Which one of them is correct? [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(b) When a light ray is incident oblikely on one face of rectangular glass slab, the emergent ray will be parallel to the incident ray and shifted sideward slightly.
36. In which of the following, the image of an object placed at infinity will be highly diminished and point sized? [NCERT Exemplar Problems]
(a) Concave mirror only
(b) Convex mirror only
(c) Convex lens only
(d) Concave mirror, convex mirror, concave lens and convex lens.
(d) The incident ray coming from the object placed at infinity will be parallel to the principal axis. When the parallel beam of light incident on a mirror or lens, irrespective of their nature, after reflection/refraction, will pass or appear to pass through their principal focus. Hence highly diminished and point size image will be formed at their focus.
Light Reflection and Refraction MCQ 37. When light falls on a smooth polished surface, most of it
(a) is reflected in the same direction
(b) is reflected in different directions
(c) is scattered
(d) is refracted into the second medium
38. Image formed by reflection from a plane mirror is
(a) real and inverted
(b) virtual and erect
(c) real and erect
(d) virtual and inverted
39. If an incident ray passes through the focus, the reflected ray will
(a) pass through the pole
(b) be parallel to the principal axis
(c) retrace its path
(d) pass through the centre of curvature
40. Magnifying power of a concave lens is
(a) always > 1
(b) always < 1
(c) always = 1
(d) can have any value
41. The image formed by a convex lens can be
(a) virtual and magnified
(b) virtual and diminished
(c) virtual and of same size
(d) virtual image is not formed
42. A point object is placed at a distance of 20 cm from a convex mirror of focal length 20 cm. The image will form at:
(a) at infinity
(b) at focus
(c) at the pole
(d) behind the mirror